Building a Portable Generator Cover
If you own a portable generator, you know how important it is to protect it from the elements while you’re using it. A durable cover will help to keep your generator safe from the sun, rain, snow, and other debris. In this article, we will show you how to build a portable generator cover that is both effective and easy to make.
• Heavy-duty canvas fabric
• Heavy-duty thread
• Sewing machine
• Measuring tape
1. Measure the length and width of your generator. Add 3 inches to each measurement to account for the hems, and use that number to cut your canvas fabric.
2. Turn the fabric over, and iron it to remove any wrinkles.
3. Fold over the edges of the fabric by 1 inch, and iron them flat.
4. Now, fold the edges over again by 1 inch and iron them flat.
5. Pin the hems in place and sew them together with the heavy-duty thread.
6. When you’ve finished sewing the hems, turn the cover right side out and iron it flat.
7. Place the cover over your generator and secure it with ties or bungee cords.
Your portable generator cover is now ready. It’s important to note that you should always make sure your generator is turned off and cool before you cover it. This will help to prevent any potential fires or other accidents.
By following these instructions, you can easily make a durable, protective cover for your portable generator. This will help to keep your generator safe from the elements and extend its lifespan.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ 1: How do I build a portable generator cover?
Answer: To build a portable generator cover, you will need a tarp, a pair of scissors, a few bungee cords, and some zip ties. Start by cutting the tarp to size, then fold it in half and use the bungee cords to hold it together. Secure the tarp to the generator using the zip ties and you have a portable generator cover.
FAQ 2: What type of materials do I need for a portable generator cover?
Answer: To build a portable generator cover, you will need a tarp, a pair of scissors, a few bungee cords, and some zip ties.
FAQ 3: How do I secure the cover to the generator?
Answer: Secure the tarp to the generator using the zip ties.
FAQ 4: How do I make sure the cover fits the generator properly?
Answer: Measure the length and width of the generator before cutting the tarp to size.
FAQ 5: How often should I replace my portable generator cover?
Answer: Depending on the type of tarp used, you should replace your portable generator cover every one to two years, or whenever the tarp starts to fray or rip.